CloverLeaf Certified care Product rating system
CloverLeaf Animal Welfare Systems Has A Rating Process For Product And Process Certification Below You Will Find A Brief Description Of The Process Used For Rating And A Link To Our CCC Product Page
CLOVERLEAF CERTIFIED CARE PRODUCTS
All products that are granted the certified care approved label have been shown to comply with all of the five freedoms of animal welfare.
The Five Freedoms
• Freedom from Hunger and Thirst By ready access to fresh water and diet to maintain health and vigor
• Freedom from Discomfort By providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area
• Freedom from Pain, Injury, or Disease By prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment
• Freedom to Express Normal Behavior By providing sufficient space, proper facilities, and the company of the animal’s own kind
• Freedom from Fear and Distress By ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering
The Thrive score
Cloverleaf Certified Care Approved Products or Processes can then be assigned a thrive score from 1 to 5 based on the number of domain tenets it is in compliance with. Products should also in no way impede any of the five domains to be rated with a thrive score.
Freedom from hunger and thirst/ Nutrition: Products that enable, improve, and in no way impede the animal’s access to sufficient, balanced, varied, and clean food and water.
Freedom from discomfort /Environment: Products that enable, improve, and in no way impede comfort through temperature, substrate, space, air, odor, noise, and predictability.
Freedom from pain, injury, or disease /Health: Products that enable, improve, and in no way impede good health through the absence of disease, injury, or impairment with a good fitness level.
Freedom to express normal behavior /Behavior: Products that enable, improve, and in no way impede normal behavior with the varied, novel, and engaging environmental challenges through sensory inputs, exploration, foraging, bonding, playing, retreating, and others.
Freedom from fear or distress /Mental state : Products that enable, improve, and in no way impede the good mental state of the animal. Should provide benefit from predominantly positive states, such as pleasure, comfort, or vitality while reducing negative states such as fear, frustration, hunger, pain, or boredom.
Cloverleaf Certified Care Approved Products or Processes that meet the neutral criteria and have been assigned a thrive score from 1-5 will then be assigned a plus if any of the following criteria are met
• Quality of Life Improvement Products of processes that lead to a noticeable and measurable change in the quality of life for animals
• Environmental Enrichment Products of processes that provide life enrichment for animals
• Mitigation of Pain Mitigation of pain or suffering associated with standard industry practices that are otherwise unavoidable
• End of Life Care Products of processes that improve the ability to access the appropriate, end of life care plan, that provide timely euthanasia plans, or improvements to the euthanasia process
• Reduce Injurious Natural Behaviors Products of processes that reduce the number of injuries or illnesses caused by natural animal behaviors while respecting the animal's five freedoms